High Watermark Battlefield Tree Products
The High Watermark of the Confederacy today on Cemetery Ridge on the Gettysburg National Military Park.
These products are made using wood from an oak tree harvested from the area known as the High Watermark of the Confederacy or High Tide of the Confederacy. It refers to an area on Cemetery Ridge marking the farthest point reached by Confederate forces during Pickett's Charge on the last day of the Battle of Gettysburg on July 3, 1863.
General Robert E. Lee of the Confederate States Army ordered an attack on the Union Army center, located on Cemetery Ridge. This maneuver called for almost 12,500 men to march over 1,000 yards (900 m) of dangerously open terrain. Preceded by a massive but mostly ineffective Confederate artillery barrage, the march across open fields toward the Union lines became known as Pickett's Charge; Maj. Gen. George Pickett was one of three division commanders under the command of Lt. Gen. James Longstreet, but his name has been popularly associated with the assault. Union guns and infantry on Cemetery Ridge opened fire on the advancing men, inflicting a 50% casualty rate on the Confederate ranks. One of Pickett's brigade commanders was Brig. Gen. Lewis Armistead. His men were able to breach the Union lines in just one place, a bend in the wall that has become known as "the Angle". This gap in the Union line was hastily closed, with any Confederate soldiers who had breached it being quickly captured or killed, including Armistead.
This wood is from a battlefield tree, one that was harvested in the decades after the battle and more modern times