Codori Thicket Battlefield Cedar Tree Letter Opener
The Codori Farm is just south of Gettysburg on the east side of Emmitsburg Road. The farm was owned by Nicholas Codori, who came to America from Alsace, France, in 1828 at the age of 19. He bought the 273-acre farm in 1854, replacing the original log house with today's two-story frame building.
Late on the afternoon of the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg, Union General Winfield Hancock reacted to a gap of the Union line of several hundred yards near and about the Codori Farm. Approximately 1700 Alabama infantry were rapidly advancing towards that gap. If they overran the gap the Union army would be split in two. The only troops at the ready were 262 men of the 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. While vastly outnumbered, Hancock ordered the men to fill the gap and delay the Alabamians. Hancock needed time until reinforcements could join the attack. While lasting only ten to fifteen minutes The Battle of Codori Thicket was a success, however, the Minnesota Infantry suffered 215 killed or wounded of their original 262. They delayed the advance of the Confederates and stood fast until Union reinforcements secured the gap which would again be tested during Pickett’s charge the next day. It was estimated that over 500 Confederate soldiers were buried on the farm after the battle.
The wood used for this product is from a tree harvested from the area of the Codori Thicket. This cedar was not standing during the Battle of Gettysburg. It was not a Witness Tree. However, it was almost certainly a descendant of the cedars that stood on July 1st, 2nd & 3rd in 1863.
The wood used to create this product is guaranteed to be from pieces legally acquired from a tree that stood in the area known as the Codori Thicket on the Gettysburg Battlefield.
This tree was not a Witness Tree. It was not standing during the Battle of Gettysburg.
Available without engraving.